FSSAI Registration

FSSAI Registration (under 20 employees) at an all-inclusive price, including Government Fees*

Complete By* : 02 Jun, 2023

Pricing Summary

Traditional CA/CS Price : ₹ 5,000 /-

Other Online Price : ₹ 3,000 /-

Our Base Price : ₹1,285 /-

Govt. fees & taxes : ₹214 /-

You Pay: 1,499/- all inclusive

Government Fee included in above

You Save : ₹1,715/- to- 3,715 /-

What do you get?

15 Mins free Consultation with an EXPERT

Filling and filing of Application

Submission of any clarifications/ resubmissions required

Why Should You Choose SeedUp for

FSSAI Registration


in cost, most economical


completion of assignment


to compliances, giving you all that matters


towards your specific requirements


we only ask for required documents

Who needs FSSAI Registration? 


FSSAI registration is a mandatory compliance that ensures the safety of food products supplied or manufactured by various establishments in India. It is basically a food safety certificate issued by the respective food authority of India. This governing body responsible for the food security is known as the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) that is regulated under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.


As per Section 31(1) & 31(2) of FSS Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator (FBO) in the country is required to be licensed/registered under the Food Safety &Standards Authority of India. The licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of food Business) Regulations, 2011. 


Registration is meant for petty food manufacturers that includes petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or a temporary stall holder or small or cottage scale industry having annual turnover up to 12 lacs. All food businesses having income more than this limit are required to take a license.


Documents Required

Declaration form

Authority letter

Id proof i.e. (Aadhar Card/Driving license/Passport/Voter Card)

Utility Bills (Electricity/ Telephone)

Rent/ Lease Agreement

* (All documents in Pdf scanned. Image file in jpeg format)

* (All documents to be Self Attested and signed on each page)


FSSAI Registration

FBOs are required to obtain FSSAI Registration Certificate by applying on Food Licensing and Registration System

Steps for Registration

Collect information and documents

Create login Credentials of the client with user name and Email ID.

File application in Form A, Unique Application Reference Number generated

Registering Authority (RA) may grant or reject registration

Inspection is ordered within 7 days

Inspection conducted within 30 days

Registration granted, FBO may start the business

Why do you require a

FSSAI Registration?

FSSAI license is based on premise. All kinds of food business activities which are being conducted at the same premise can be applied for in a single FSSAI license.

Increased Customer Value

FSSAI license adds on to the advantage of winning customer trust and thus increase in brand loyalty and value.

Legal Benefits

FSSAI registration is regulated by the proper authority and any organisation in food industry who fails to obtain the license will have to bear severe penalties in case of non compliance.


The license is beneficial as it helps to obtain loan from the market easily.


The logo is a mark of validity and assurance to consumers and also provides a competitive edge over those who do not have the license.

Types of Food Registration/Licenses

FSSAI Registration for Petty FBO

Petty Food Business Operators (FBO) who himself manufactures or sells any article of food or a petty

retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or a temporary stall holder or small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food business operator having annual turnover up to Rs. 12 Lacs and/or whose

i. production capacity of food products does not exceed 100 kg or litres per day, or

ii. procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day, or

iii. slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less






These FBOs are required to obtain FSSAI Registration Certificate by applying on Food Licensing and Registration System. This Registration Certificate is embedded with QR code and has the image of FBO with 14-digit Registration number starting with 2 (2xxxxxxxxxxxxx).


State FSSAI License

FSSAI state license is mandatory for the food Business with annual turnover between Rs. 12 Lac - Rs. 20 Cr. additionally or annually. The turnover limit is same for an FSSAI State Manufacturing license or FSSAI State trading license.


Central FSSAI License

It is mandatory for the food business whose annual turnover is above Rs. 20 Cr in case of trading or manufacturing or storage beyond certain limited as specified by the laws.


Food Import License under FSSAI

For obtaining Food Import License, the applicant/ prospective Importer requires a valid Import Export Code (IE Code) issued by Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT).





Are different Licenses required to conduct different kind of food business activities at the same premise?

Ans: FSSAI license is based on premise. All kinds of food business activities which are being conducted at the same premise can be applied for in a single FSSAI license.


How to convert manually issued license to online during renewal of license?

Ans: FBO can approach concerned Designated Officer of concerned area. Designated Officer will createUser ID and issue you a new system generated license number which can be renewed through online process, whenever required.


What are the advantages of incorporating your manually issued license to the online licensing and registration system?

Ans: It will minimize the number of documents required during renewal of license. The old license number will also be attached with the new license number. FBOs will be able to track the application during the course of processing through the FSSAI‟s online food licensing and registration system.


My License/Registration is suspended or cancelled. Do I need to stop food business activities?

Ans: On the suspension or cancellation of his/her License or registration, a food business operator needs to stop food business activities immediately. Carrying out any food business activity on suspended or cancelled License/Registration is an unlawful activity and shall attract penal actions under FSS Act, 2006.


Do I need to obtain FSSAI License for utensils/packaging material meant for serving or packaging of food?

Ans: No. FSSAI License/Registration is not required for utensils or packaging material as these are not covered under the definition of food as per Section 3(n) of FSS Act, 2006.


My License was cancelled. Can I apply for fresh License?

Ans: After a period of 3 months from the date of cancellation under Regulation 2.1.8 (3), the Food Business Operator may make a fresh application for Registration or license to the concerned authority if all observations made in the improvement notice have been complied with.


My application has been returned back with some queries on it. What to do? Or Status of my application is ‘Application has been sent back for modification/editing’, how to proceed now?

Ans: Respond to the queries raised by Licensing or Registering Authority within 30 days. The application for the editing/modification shall be available on the dashboard of the applicant. If an applicant does not respond to the queries of Licensing or Registering Authorities, the application will be rejected.


Who will issue license to food business operators under railways premises?

Ans: FSSAI license/Registration for food premises under Railways are issued by the Indian Railways Designated Officers/Registering Authorities as notified by Food Authority from time to time.


Who will issue the FSSAI license to food business operators under Airport/Seaport premises?

Ans: FSSAI license for food premises at Airport/Seaport are issued by Airport Health Officers (APHOs) or Port Health Officers (PHOs) who are notified as Designated Officers (DOs) by Food Authority. Airports/Seaports where APHOs/PHOs are not notified as DOs, Central Licensing Authority (CLA) of

respective area would issue license.


What are the different categories of license?

Ans: As per in „FSS (Licensing & Registration) Regulations, 2011, Licenses and Registrations are granted to FBOs in a 3 tier system i.e. Registration, State license and Central License. Eligibility Criteria is available on the homepage of Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS).


I am working/manufacturing or conducting food business activities from my home for a registered Cooperative Society/Gruh Udyog/Mahila Udyog/ Self Help Group or any similar government registered society. Do I need to obtain separate FSSAI registration for myself?

Ans: FSSAI vide order number 03-01/2012/Enf-I/FSSAI dated 21st Jan 2015 exempted individual members to obtain FSSAI registration certificate. He/she must be a registered member of the society which is licensed/registered with FSSAI and subject to all such conditions as laid down in the order.


I have pulses/grains milling unit. What kind of license do I need to obtain?

Ans: Pulses/Grains etc. milling unit comes under Manufacturing Kind of Business. These milling units exclusively covered under State License irrespective of their production capacity.


If I have more than 10 food vending machines, being operated by third parties with an annual turnover of more than 12 lakhs, who should get registration?

Ans: In case where a food vending machine having annual turnover of more than Rs.12 Lacs, it shall be licensed with FSSAI. For the vending machines having annual turnover of upto Rs.12 Lacs, the parent entity shall obtain FSSAI license in concurrence of FSSAI orders numbered 15(6)2018/FLRS/RCD/FSSAI dated 08th July 2019 and 19th Sep 2019 issued in this regard.


Whether NOC from FSSAI is required for export?

Ans: No, NOC is not required from Food Safety and Standards Authority of India for exporting food products from India however FSSAI License is required to be taken by the exporter.


Are physical documents required to be submitted at Regional/State Offices for License after submitting online application?

Ans: No, there is no need to submit physical documents at Regional/ State offices for Central/ State license.


What is the fee for modification of license?

Ans: If there is any change that alters the information contained in the license certificate (Form C), Food Business Operator shall apply for modification of license with a fee of Rs. 1000 plus differential fee equal to difference in annual license fee in case of upgradation.

No fee is required for modification of non-form C details such as Change in Form IX Nominee (person responsible for complying conditions of license) or any supporting documents.


Repetition of IEC Code of Importer allowed?

Ans: An importer cannot submit another application with same IEC unless he deletes application (complete or incomplete) or surrender license where this particular IEC used.


I have closed down my food business. How to surrender the FSSAI License/Registration?

Ans: You need to apply online for surrendering the License or Registration by login into the same FLRSaccount from which license/registration application was filed. After approval of the concerned authority, it will be considered as surrendered.


How to transfer the License from one owner to another in case of death of owner?

Ans: License can be transferred in case of death of the owner. Transfer application can be made online. For transferring of License, Death Certificate and Proof of Legal Heir is required.


How and where to make an appeal against the order of Licensing/Registering Authority?

Ans: Under Section 32 (4) and 32(5) of FSS Act, 2006, any person who is aggrieved by the decision of Licensing/Registering Authority, may appeal to the Commissioner of Food Safety whose decision thereon shall be final. The period within which such an appeal may be brought shall be fifteen days from the date on which notice of the decision was served. In case of appeal against an improvement notice it shall be 15 days or the period specified in the improvement notice, whichever expires earlier.


On which points, inspection of my food business will be conducted?

Ans: Inspections are conducted on the points of Sanitary and Hygienic Requirements as mentioned in Schedule 4 of FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011. Kind of Business wise standardized inspection checklists used by inspectors are based on Schedule 4 requirements only and are available at


What actions do I need to take on receiving an improvement notice?

Ans: On receipt of improvement notice, you need to act upon suggestions given for improvement by the concerned authority. A minimum of 14 days shall be granted by the concerned authority for submitting compliance report. If you are aggrieved by the improvement notice or any decision of the concerned authority, you may appeal under Section 32 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 to the Commissioner of Food Safety whose decision thereon, shall be final.


My License/Registration has been suspended. How suspension can be revoked?

Ans: In the improvement notice issued to food business operator (FBO) for suspension, the ground for suspension is given. FBO is required to take remedial action as directed in improvement notice and inform Licensing Authority. If satisfied with the steps taken by the FBO, Licensing Authority may revoke suspension with or without conducting inspection. The FBO may also appeal against the Improvement Notice vide Section 32(4) of FSS Act, 2006.


Where a FBO can contact for FLRS/ FoSCoS technical assistance?

Ans: FBO can contact at toll free help desk no 1800112100 or can mail his query to Further, the homepage of Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS)/ Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS) show “HOW TO APPLY” which provide step by step information for food business operator to apply for Central/ State License and Registration by himself.


How will I know about the stages/status of my application?

Ans: An applicant is informed by SMS/Email alert at many stages of application processing. Moreover the applicant can obtain the status by using facility of “Track Application Status” on FLRS/FoSCoS.


How to renew your license/Registration after expiry?

Ans: FBO can‟t renew his/her License or Registration if it is not applied before the expiry of license/registration. Once the license/registration is expired, the FBO has to apply afresh for a new licences/ registration.


What are the online available payment options?

Ans: Payment can be made online through credit card, debit card and online net banking facility.


In what circumstances application will be rejected?

Ans: Licensing Officer can reject the application in the case when the required information is not provided within the stipulated time of 30 days or is convinced that the applied application is not tenable and cannot be granted. Before refusing license an applicant shall be given an opportunity of being heard and reasons for refusal shall be recorded in writing.


Do pharmacies and medical stores need to apply for a FSSAI license or registration if they are selling Health supplements or Nutraceutical products?

Ans: All Food business operators including pharmacies or medical stores selling Health supplements or Nutraceutical products need to apply for the FSSAI license or registration.


What is the FSSAI License requirement to run a food business in more than one state with the same name of the company or organization?

Ans: If a Food Business Operator (FBO) has his food business premises located in two or more than two States, he is required to obtain a Central License for his Registered Office or Head Office in addition to license/registration for each unit/premise. Separate license or registration to be obtained for each unit/premise depending upon that unit‟s capacity or turnover, from the concerned Central or State licensing authorities. Further, if there is any food business activity conducted on Registered Office/Head Office premise, the same shall also be incorporated in Head Office License.


Under which circumstances can the Designated Officer (DO) suspend or cancel the FSSAI license or Registration?

Ans: The DO may suspend the license of a Food Business Operator (FBO) if they are not complying with the improvement notice. The DO may further cancel the suspended license after giving the FBO an opportunity by issuing show cause notice.


Will license be required for a catering establishment that comes under the Central Government?

Ans: Yes, all catering establishments, even those under central Government such as Railways, Airport, Seaport, and Defence etc. will have to get a license from FSSAI.


We manufacture only food additives. Do I need a license from FSSAI too?

Ans: Yes, FSSAI license is required for any type of food activities including manufacturing, trading, distribution and transportation. Therefore, you need license from FSSAI.


Is it mandatory for 100% export units to get FSSAI License?

Ans: Yes, FSSAI license is mandatory for both export and import of food products. You will need to apply for FSSAI Central License for your export unit.


I want to import food items for sale in India. Do I need a license from FSSAI?

Ans: Yes, you are required to obtain FSSAI‟s Central license on the address as mentioned in Import Export Code Certificate from DGFT to import food products for sale in India.


What is the maximum period for which FSSAI License/Registration can be applied?

Ans: FSSAI license can be applied or renewed for 1 year up to maximum 5 years at a time. 


How can I check the authenticity/validity of FSSAI License or registration?

Ans: Consumers or any stakeholder can access and verify FSSAI Licensed/Registered Food Business Operators (FBOs) through 'Food Safety Connect' App.

The information can also be accessed through FBO Search facility available on FSSAI's Food License and Registration System (FLRS)/ Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS).


What is the significance of QR Code on FSSAI License/Registration?

Ans: FSSAI is dispatching License and Registration to FBOs online with QR code. On scanning, QR code shows the details of FSSAI License or Registration as available in FSSAI database. This helps in identifying any fraudulent activity.


Do I need to register/mention all food products in FSSAI License which I manufacture or process in my food premise?

Ans: Food Business Operators (FBOs) shall only manufacture/process food products after getting them endorse on FSSAI License. It is clarified that FBOs manufacturing products without getting them endorse on their License will be treated as 'Conducting Business without License' and shall be prosecuted under relevant section of FSS Act, 2006.


What are the documents required for FSSAI License? From where do I get the list of required documents for FSSAI License?

Ans: The documents are classified according to Kind of Food Business. The list is available on the Homepage of FSSAI‟s food licensing website ( under „Supporting Documents‟ tab.


My food business is located at Airport. What kind of FSSAI License or Registration I need to obtain? What is the fee required to obtain FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: Food Business Activities at Airport/Seaport required to obtain Central License. Fee for FSSAI License for food businesses located at Airport/Seaport is Rs. 7500 per year.


How to identify the category of FSSAI License/Registration by number?

Ans: FSSAI License number is of 14 digits and starts with '1' while FSSAI Registration number is also of 14 digits and starts with '2'.

Further, the first three digit pattern of FSSAI Central License out of 14 digit- License number is „100xxxxxxxxxxx‟.


I have manufacturing units in multiple states. Will I be required to get a common license for the company or an individual license for each unit?

Ans: You will be required to obtain a Central License for the Head Office/Registered office of your company and individual Central or State license or Registration Certificate (as per the eligibility criteria of respective units) for each manufacturing unit in particular State/UT.


Are there any authorized facilitators/consultants of FSSAI for filing applications of FSSAI License/Registration?

Ans: FSSAI has created an ecosystem of Food Safety Mitras (FSM). Under FSSAI‟s Food Safety Mitra Scheme, Digital Mitras are being recognized and trained by FSSAI who provide help to Food Business Operators in filing applications for licenses and registrations.


What is the significance of Nomination of person in Form IX? Is it mandatory to nominate a person for a food business?

Ans: Every Licensed FBO shall inform the Licensing authority in Form IX, the particulars relating to the concerned head or the person in-charge of such establishment, branch, unit, with due certification that the concerned person has been so nominated for the purpose of compliance under FSS Act and Rules and Regulations made thereunder. Every FBO, other than proprietor needs to nominate a person and convey to Licensing Authorities in Form IX.


Do I need to file annual return for my food business activities?

Ans: FSSAI Licensed FBOs involved in Manufacturing (including repacking and manufacturing of food products by third party manufacturers) and importing of food products need to submit Annual Returns in Form D1 by 31st May of every preceding financial year. Manufacturers of Milk and Milk products need to submit Half-yearly returns in form D2 within one month of completion of previous half-year. Formats of D1 and D2 are available on the homepage of FSSAI‟s licensing website Merchant Exporter can file Quarterly annual report through online system.


What is the penalty for late or non-submission of Annual Returns?

Ans: Non-submission of annual return beyond 31st May of every year will attract a late fee of Rs. 100 per day till the date of submission of annual return.


Is there a mandatory requirement for all Manufacturers/Processors to compulsorily set-up inhouse food testing laboratory?

Ans: As per condition of License, FBOs involved in manufacturing/processing of Oils shall have in-house laboratory facility for analytical testing of products. Further, FSSAI vide order number 15023/02/2017-QA (pt-2) dated 15th October 2019 has issued directions that all Dairy Processing units should follow a standardized Scheme of Sampling, Testing and Inspection for monitoring of internal controls to ensure safe and good quality of supply of milk and milk products to consumers. Detailed Scheme of Sampling, Testing and Inspection is attached with the order (available at FSSAI‟s website). The scheme came into force from 01st Jan 2020.


Do I need to give bill/cash memo to the purchaser?

Ans: As per clause 2.1.14 of FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011, every FBO involved in Business to Business trade shall give either separately or in the bill, cash memo, or label, a warranty in Form E to the purchaser.


What are the mandatory conditions of license pertaining to my food business?

Ans: There are certain Conditions of License as defined in Annexure 3 of Schedule 2 of Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011 which are to be complied with at all times by every FSSAI Licensed food business operator. FSSAI Licenses (with embedded QR Code) are being dispatched to Food Business Operators with Conditions of License annexed to it. Conditions of License are also available on the homepage of Food Licensing and Registration System.


How to declare the manufacturing/processing of fortified food in FSSAI License? Is it mandatory to declare manufacturing of Fortified food on FSSAI License?

Ans: Food business operators manufacturing fortified foods (Wheat, Rice, Milk, Oil and Salt) are required to get these endorse on their FSSAI License by enclosing lab test reports of the products.


I have FSSAI License, can I use the +F logo on fortified food product labels?

Ans: Even, if an FBO has the valid FSSAI License, he needs to endorse fortified food in his/her FSSAI License. Only after approval of endorsement of fortified foods in FSSAI License, the FBO can use +F logo on endorsed products.


I have FSSAI License,can I use the Jaivik Bharat (Organic India) logo on food product labels?

Ans: Even, if an FBO has the valid FSSAI License, he needs to endorse organic food in his/her FSSAI License by enclosing the certification of the products obtained from NPOP/PGS-India. Only after approval of endorsement of organic foods in FSSAI License, the FBO can use Jaivik Bharat (Organic India) logo on endorsed product labels.


Do Chemists Shops and Retailer of general/grocery items need to obtain FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: Chemists Shops, Retailers or any other retailing units are required to obtain FSSAI License, if they are involved in selling of food products through their outlets. Eligibility Criteria of FSSAI License/Registration is available on or call @ 1800112100 (toll free).


How do I know the correct Kind of Food Business or eligibility criteria or category for my food business?

Ans: Definition of each Kind of Food Business (KoB) is available on homepage of FSSAI‟s licensing website i.e. An Eligibility check is also available.


What is the maximum time for grant of Registration Certificate after applying?

Ans: A registration certificate has to be issued by the registration authority within 7 days of the date of making application. In the case, registration authority wants to conduct inspection of the premise of the applicant, the inspection must be conducted within 30 days of the date of application and registration to be issued, if premises found in order as per Schedule 4 of FSS (Licensing and Registration of food businesses) Regulations, 2011.


What is the maximum time for grant of FSSAI License after applying?

Ans: A license has to be issued by the Licensing Authority within 60 days of making complete application by an applicant. This time includes scrutinization of application and inspection of premises by the concerned authority.


Where to approach if license is not issued within the prescribed timeline or unsatisfied by the decision of Licensing authority or application is rejected or license is suspended/ cancelled by the concerned authority?

Ans: If you are aggrieved by the decision of concerned licensing or registering authority, you may appeal to the Commissioner of Food Safety of your State under Section 32 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Details of Commissioners of Food Safety of all States/UTs are available at In case of Central License, you can write to the Directors of FSSAI Regional Offices. Details are available at


In how many days advance, renewal of license or registration can be filed?

Ans: A License or registration renewal application can be made as early as 120 days in advance.


I have still some days validity left of my FSSAI License, still the system is asking for late fee, why and how the late fee is attached to renewal application?

Ans: As per regulations, a renewal has to be filed not later than 30 days prior to expiry of License to avoid the late fee for renewal of License. A late fee of Rs. 100 per day is calculated and added to renewal fee of License. i.e. if you are applying for renewal on last day of expiry, a late fee of Rs. 100 x 30 = Rs. 3000 will be added to the renewal fee of License.


I have submitted the payment/fee of License or registration through offline Treasury Challan. How do I submit the application?

Ans: In case license or registration fee is paid through offline treasury challan, the copy of treasury challan should be self-attested by the FBO and a 17-digit reference number shall be mentioned on the top of treasury challan. The details of treasury challan, then, shall be filled and self-attested copy of it shall be uploaded in the application. The application then finally be submitted.


The status of my application shows that License or Registration is issued but I did not receive the license or registration yet. What is the issue?

Ans: FSSAI License or registration containing QR code is dispatched to email ids of FBOs after its issuance. FSSAI License is sent to email-id of nominated person as declared. FSSAI Registration certificate is also sent to email-id as mentioned by the applicant. In case, you didn‟t receive the mail of License or registration, please ensure the correctness of email- ids provided by you.


How can I check my FSSAI license renewal status?

Ans: Status of renewal of any License/Registration can be checked in your FLRS account by login with user id and password. Other option is to track your application status in FLRS website www.


What are the other permissions required for obtaining FSSAI License?

Ans: The requirement of any other permission to conduct a food business in an area is determined by District/Local Administration. There is no prerequisite condition for obtaining permissions to apply for FSSAI License/Registration. However, an FBO shall ensure that all the permissions have been taken as prescribed by District/Local Administration prior commencing food business activities.


I lost my user id of food licensing system. The recovery mail id is also not mine. How to recover my license or registration application or user-id?

Ans: Create a new user-id and send an application duly signed by authorized signatory along with the copy of License/Registration or Form A or B as applicable, to Regulatory Compliance Division, FSSAI HQ through email (


I initiated the renewal application before its expiry but got stuck at payment page. Due to a technical error, I couldn’t complete my renewal application before the expiry of License or registration. How can I submit incomplete application?

Ans: As renewal application can‟t be filed after the expiry date, you need to provide proof (screenshots) of technical issue faced by you and send it to FSSAI HQ through email ( After scrutinizing the case at FSSAI HQ, the decision will be communicated to you if permission is granted to proceed with the existing renewal application. Unless specifically reverted, no assumption of continuation of the FSSAI license can be made and the License/ Registration shall be treated as expired.


I am holding two FSSAI License, one State License and One Central for my food business unit. Is it correct to hold two licenses at single premise?

Ans: FSSAI License is purely premised based. No FBO is allowed to possess more than one license for single premise. All kinds of business shall be linked to single License obtained for single premise. If you are holding one State License and one Central License, you shall surrender the State License and apply for modification of Central License to add Kind of Business mentioned in your State License.


I want to manufacture food products for importing country. Food products differ from the standards as laid down under FSS (Food Products Standards and Additives) Regulations, 2011. Am I allowed to manufacture such products?

Ans: Manufacturers of food products meant for export are allowed to follow the standards of importing country. These FBOs need to declare to concerned Licensing Authorities that they shall not exhibit or expose such products in Indian market until or unless prior product approval is taken for such products from FSSAI HQ.


The production capacity of my manufacturing unit has been increased and now, I am falling under Central License. How can I update the production capacity?

Ans: As and when the production capacity of a manufacturing unit gets changed, it shall be communicated to concerned Licensing Authorities, through License modification application. Further, if the change in production capacity leads to change in criteria of License i.e. from State to Central, then FBO must apply for Central License and surrender State License.


I get my products manufactured through third party. Do I need FSSAI License? If yes, what is the Kind of Business for obtaining License for such business?

Ans: FBOs who get their products manufactured through third party manufacturers need to obtain FSSAI License under „Relabeller‟ Kind of Business (KoB). For determining the eligibility criteria, the cumulative production capacity or number of States/UTs where third party manufacturers are located shall be considered.


Do Wine/Liquor retail shops require FSSAI License?

Ans: Alcohol is covered under the definition of food under section 3(n) of FSS Act, 2006. FBOs involved in any stage of activity related to alcohol must be licensed or registered under FSSAI. Refer Food Safety and Standards (Alcoholic Beverages) Regulation, 2018 available at regulations.php


Do Water/Food ATMs, Vending Machines require FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: The parent entity owning the Water/Food ATMs, Vending Machines shall obtain FSSAI License and declare all the locations where these machines or vending units are placed.


Do caterers catering in Marriages, parties require FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: Yes. Caterers shall obtain FSSAI License or Registration as per the eligibility criteria.


Do Temples offering prashad, organising langar or bhandara need FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: Yes. Temples shall obtain FSSAI License or Registration as per the eligibility criteria.


Do NGOs involved in distribution of surplus food require FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: Such NGOs shall obtain FSSAI License or Registration as per the eligibility criteria.


Do Cloud Kitchens (with no seating arrangements) require FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: Yes. Cloud Kitchens shall obtain FSSAI License or Registration as per the eligibility criteria.


Which FBOs fall under the category of e-Commerce FBOs?

Ans: FBOs providing e-Commerce/online platform for transaction or sale or activity as defined under section 3(n) of FSS Act, 2006 are required to obtain FSSAI License under e- Commerce category. Such License shall be applied on Head Office/Registered Office address.


Online platforms providing only listing of FBOs require FSSAI License?

Ans: A platform that only lists FBOs but does not engage in any activity mentioned under Section 3(n) of FSS Act, 2006 are not required to obtain FSSAI license. However they must list only those FBOs who possess valid FSSAI License or Registration.


FBO selling his/her products through his/her own e-Commerce/online platform require FSSAI License under e-Commerce?

Ans: Yes, FBOs selling their products through their own e-Commerce platform are required to obtain FSSAI License under e-Commerce category also.


Are Direct Sellers exempted from obtaining FSSAI License or Registration?

Ans: No, Direct Sellers are not exempted from obtaining FSSAI License or Registration. Only in the case, where Direct Selling entities willing to take responsibilities of their Direct Sellers and have given them in writing for owning of such responsibilities, Direct Sellers are not required to obtain FSSAI registration certificates. Direct Sellers falling under the category of FSSAI License need to obtain a License under all circumstances.


Can License for proprietary food be taken for Formulated Supplements for Children for age group 24-36 months?

Ans: As per FSSAI order 15(15) 2018/CLAs/RCD/FSSAI dated 18th October 2019, License for proprietary food cannot be granted for Formulated Supplements for Children for age group 24-36 months under category 3.2 Complementary foods for infants and young children.


Which Food Business Operators are classified as Repackers?

Ans: Repacking means packing of food products into different sizes with labelling after doing minimal processing as required like sorting, grading, sieving etc. from wholesale packages. The food product is not manipulated & the composition or formulation is not affected or changed. A repacker is a deemed manufacturer and shall follow all provisions of FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011 meant for a manufacturer.


Which Food Business Operators are classified as Relabellers?

Ans: Relabellers are deemed manufacturers and shall ensure all Schedule 4 conditions laid down for manufacturers. A Relabeller does not manufacture product by own instead do agreement/contract with third party manufacturers for product manufacturing.


Is Star-rating certificate issued by the Ministry of Tourism required for obtaining FSSAI License?

Ans: FSSAI vide its order 12(1)2019/Hotel and Restaurant Association/RCD/FSSAI dated 7th Feb 2019 clarified that Star-rating certificate is not a prerequisite document for Hotels to obtain FSSAI License. In case, Hotel has obtained Star-rating certificate from the Ministry of Tourism (HRACC), the FBO needs to upload the same, otherwise, FBO needs to upload a self-declaration that he has not opted for star-rating from Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). Hotels without Ministry of Tourism‟s Star rating are categorised along with one and two star Hotels for obtaining FSSAI License. Further, Hotels rated Five Star and above by Ministry of Tourism need to obtain Central License and rest are needed to obtain State License/Registration.


Is there any requirement of NOC from Central Ground Water Authority for FSSAI License?

Ans: Yes. If an FBO is extracting groundwater( located in over-exploited areas) to conduct food business activities, he needs to obtain NOC from Central Ground Water Authority, prior applying for FSSAI License. Refer Order no. 5(9)2017/CLA/DO Mumbai/RCD/FSSAI dated 02.01.2018.


Does a milk seller/ milkman require an FSSAI license/registration? Even if he is selling his milk to consumers directly.

Ans: Yes. All milk sellers/milkmen require FSSAI registration certificates, if they are selling milk and milk products up to Rs. 12 Lacs per annum. If their sales cross Rs. 12 Lacs per annum, they need to obtain FSSAI License.


Does a milk collection/chilling center require an FSSAI License/Registration?

Ans: Yes. A milk collection or chilling center requires an FSSAI License/Registration depending upon the volume of milk handled by the center. In case, a centralised milk chilling/collection center is registered/licensed with FSSAI, then individual small chilling centers (set up at village level or so) need not to be individually registered with FSSAI. Their compliance of FSS Act and Rules and Regulations made therein shall be borne by Centralised milk

chilling/collection center.


Does a milk seller/ milkman who supplies his whole production of milk to a Cooperative Society require an FSSAI license/registration?

Ans: If a milkman/ vendor is a registered vendor of Cooperative Society and selling his whole production of milk to that society, he is exempted from obtaining FSSAI Registration. In that case, Cooperative Society has to be licensed or registered with FSSAI.


If I am a canteen in a Central/State Government Office/ Educational Institution/ Bhawan/ Hospital/ Jail or similar establishment - what license should I get - state or central licence?

Ans: If you are a private food business operator (FBO) running canteen in a Central/State Government Organization, you are required to apply for Registration /State License/ Central License as per the eligibility criteria available on the homepage of Food Licensing and Registration System/ Food Safety ComplianceSystem. In case, the canteens at Central Government organizations/establishments are being run by Central Government organization itself, then the online application for license/registration shall be made as per the criteria given below on Food Licensing and Registration System/ Food Safety Compliance System. Type Eligibility Criteria Fee

i. Central Registration Canteen‟s Annual Turnover upto Rs. 12 Lacs Fee: Rs. 100

ii. Central License Canteen‟s Annual Turnover of more than Rs. 12 Lacs Fee: Rs. 2000


My FSSAI License number has changed. Can I use the pre-printed packaging material with older FSSAI License number?

Ans: In case of change of name, address or License number, you can apply for permission to use pre-printed packaging material. The request for permission shall be sent to FSSAI HQ with the prescribed fee. Refer FSSAI orders no. 12(2)2016/FBO Representation/Enf/FSSAI & 12(2)2017/FBO Representation/Enf/FSSAI dated 23/11/2016 & 14.11.2017 respectively, available at website (


Where can I approach if I have a complaint against a Food Business Operator?

Ans: You can raise your food related grievance at FSSAI‟s food safety connect portal ( You can also download the „Food Safety Connect‟ app. Every lodged complaint is assigned a unique number through which a complainant can track the status of his/her



If I am an importer- do I need a licence- which one?

Ans: Yes, all Importers need to obtain FSSAI Central License under Importer Category. They can only import such food products whose standards have been laid down by FSSAI. For the products whose standards are not specified by FSSAI, they first need to obtain product approval from Standards Division, FSSAI. For more info, refer Food Safety and Standards (Import) Regulation, 2017 available at standards-regulations.php.


I already have a FSSAI’s State license. Can I import food products on the same license?

Ans: Refer Q 93. FBOs need to obtain FSSAI‟s Central License under Importer category for importing food products in India. If you already have a FSSAI‟s State License, you are required to obtain a FSSAI Central License for Importer Category and those categories (Kind of Businesses) which are already endorsed on your existing State License. Further, you are also required to surrender your existing State License as no Food Business Operator

is allowed to possess two FSSAI Licenses for same premise.


What does ‘food products handled’ mean in context of Annual Returns as specified under Clause 2.1.13 (1) of FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011?

Ans. Here the word 'food products handled' means - the food activity for which FSSAI license has been granted. If the Kind of Business (in FSSAI License) is Manufacturer/Repacker/Relabeller, then 'food products handled' would mean ‘all food products endorsed in FSSAI License which were

manufactured/processed including repacking and manufacturing by third party manufacturers during the previous Financial Year’. Similarly, if the Kind of Business (in License) is Importer, then 'food products handled' would mean 'food products imported during the previous Financial Year ' by the FBO. For other Kind of Businesses (Such as Distributor, Wholesaler, Retailer, Storage, Transporter and Food Services etc.) the provision of submission of annual return is not applicable, at present.


I am holding a FSSAI Registration Certificate for Manufacturing of food items. Do I need to submit annual return?

Ans. No. Petty Food Business Operators (FBOs) who are holding FSSAI Registration Certificate (2xxxxxxxxxxxxx) are not required to submit annual return. Only FSSAI Licensed FBOs involved in Manufacturing and Importing of Food Products are required to submit annual returns in form D1 and D2

(Refer Q47 also).


I want to start food/catering services through Food Truck. Which is the appropriate Kind of Business/Food Category for applying FSSAI License/Registration?

Ans. Food Trucks are covered under „Food Vending Establishment‟ Kind of Business. You need to choose “Food Vending Establishment” and thereafter appropriate Food Product Category from available 1 to 16. For example, FPC 16 is for Prepared Foods.


As per Clause 10.1.2 i.e. Health status under Schedule IV (Part II) of the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses), Regulations 2011, arrangements shall be made to get the food handlers/employees of the establishment medically examined once in a year to ensure that they are free from any infectious, contagious and other communicable diseases. This one year is a financial year or calendar year?

Ans: In the case of medical examination, the year referred to in Clause 10.1.2 shall be reckoned as a financial year. The FBO may in a given financial year get his employees/food handlers tested at any time. Further in case of new food business, new recruits will have to undergo the medical examination before or at the time of joining.


As per point no.12 of Annexure 3 i.e. Conditions of License, testing of relevant chemical and/or microbiological contaminants in food products through own or NABL accredited/FSSAI notified labs is to be done at least once in a six months. Kindly clarify this six months starts from which month of

the year?

Ans: A financial year has two slots of six months i.e. 1st April to 30th September and 1st October to 31st March, 2020.FBO‟s need to get food products tested within these 2 slots of 6 months as per their convenience.


Documents Required 


  • Declaration form
  • Authority letter
  • Id proof i.e. (Aadhar Card/Driving license/Passport/Voter Card)
  • Utility Bills (Electricity/ Telephone)
  • Rent/ Lease Agreement